Saturday 23 January 2016

Week Thirty Three – Sometimes you just do things!

So I read a Runners World article this week which highlighted the importance of keeping a training log. Smug face, straight to the top of the class she thinks …. Nope crashing straight back down to reality when it went on to say that pen and paper no longer has a place, and, whilst I totally disagree (I very much enjoy doodling in my journal), I decided I should get myself on Strava too so I can remain “down with the kids”. So far I don’t really get it, you can all see how far, how fast and who I have run with, what shoes I wore and how many times I stopped to wee in a bush! And, if you want to steal my oh so un-sexy earmuffs you can probably work out where I live and follow me home too!



This week I finished reading Scott Jurek’s ‘Eat & Run’. This guy is never going to win me over with his vegan diet, I like a rare steak more than I like a run BUT his approach to running, challenging your body and overcoming the impossible is certainly not to be sniffed at. Throughout his book Scott revisits a phrase spoken often by his dad “Sometimes you just do things” and this really stuck with me this week. Why did I get up and run 16 miles in the snow on Sunday morning? Why did my alarm go off at 5am on Wednesday morning for me to run when it was -5 outside? Why was I running mile repeats round Willen Lake on Thursday evening when I had poorly small people at home? Why? Because sometimes we just do things, sometimes we want the end result more than we ever imagined and sometimes we are prepared above all else to put the time in when it counts the most!


I have had some awesome runs this week with some amazing support. I couldn’t do this without some of you, long may it continue! 


Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment